Fat contents and fatty acid profiles of Indian Scad

E.K.I Chrishanthi, M.V.E. Attygalle

Abstract


Indian Scad (Decapterus russelli, Sinhala:Linna) is one of the less expensive fish varieties in the Sri Lankan market. Total fat contents in white muscle, red muscle and skin; and fatty acid composition in white muscle of the Indian Scad were evaluated. The total fat content was relatively high in the skin (3.64%) and red muscle (3.17%) while the white muscle contained low amount (0.65%). Fatty acid profiles of white muscle showed 32.66% saturated fatty acid (SFA), 16.07% monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) and 39.38% polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA). Among SFA, those occurring in the highest proportions were palmitic acid (C16:0, 18.36%) and stearic acid (C18:0. 12.21%). Oleic acid (C18:1 n-9, 10.61%) and palmotoleic acid (C16:1 n-7, 3.91%) were the main MUFAs.

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA, C20:5 n-3, 8.83%) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA, C22:6 n-3, 19.76%) were the main PUFAs. The PUFA/SFA ratio was 1.21 and n-6/n-3 ratio was 0.13. Sum of EPA+DHA was 28.59%. Therefore it can be concluded that although the fat content is low the nutritional value of the fat contained in the white muscle of Indian Scad is high.

Key words: fatty acids, Indian Scad, Decapterus russelli, EPA, DHA


Full Text:

XML

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.